Would you like to advance the Catholic literary tradition? Would you like to meet Catholic authors and form useful connections in the Catholic publishing world?
Consider working for Catholic Reads. We are currently looking for volunteers to cover our Historical Ficton, Young Adult, and Nonfiction Genre submissions. This is done remotely from your own home. The whole company was created while its founders were working 40 hour work weeks at our day jobs, so responsibilities are designed to be as flexible as possible.
Technical experience is not required but experience editing, submitting written content, and meeting deadlines is preferred. Remote work experience, or experience using Dropbox and In-line edits on Microsoft word are a bonus.
Perks of Working with Catholic Reads
We are a start-up entrepreneurial business and the goal is to be able to pay our editors. We are currently taking steps to be able to do so but cannot promise payment at this time.
- First access to having your own books included on the Catholic Reads website and newsletter. (All books still have to pass the same standards of editing and theology that all other books do but you can skip the line to have them vetted and added to the database).
- Free ad-space on our newsletter and website for your own books and/or projects related to the Catholic audience
- Connections with authors and publishers in the Catholic publishing world
- Free books. As an editor you will be sent free copies of the books you review for Catholic Reads. If you are a teacher or librarian this is an easy way to add to your library’s Catholic collection.
- A free ticket to one Catholic conference a year. During said conference you will be required to collect email subscriber sign-ups but can otherwise enjoy the event at your leisure.
Responsibilities of the Position
- submit a written review of a Catholic-appropriate book every four weeks. Length of review is between 500-1000 words.
- help edit your peer’s reviews through in-line comments on Microsoft Word. Edit two reviews every 4 week period.
- record performance statistics of our email newsletter in an Excel Spreadsheet once a week.
Requirements for the Position
- A love of reading, especially for books in your assigned genre. You will get the opportunity to read books outside your assigned genre as well but we use the genre assignments to determine who has first pick from those submissions.
- The ability to write, edit and polish reviews of 500-1000 words every 4 week period
- The self-discipline to keep to a schedule and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- A willingness to admit when you are struggling and ask for help. This is online work with team members coordinating their efforts remotely. This isn’t a paid position and mistakes are not punished, but if you don’t tell us when you are struggling we won’t be able to help.
Tools Used in this Position – Experience with these tools is NOT required. Training will be provided.
- Microsoft Word
- Facebook Messenger
How to Apply
- email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Interviews will be conducted via video conference on GoogleMeet.
- Include your time zone in your application.